Re: PDF, Postscript, and "normative" versions (was: Re: Baby Steps (was RE: Alternative formats for IDs))

On 1/12/06, John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> increasing experience within the IETF and with our style of
> developing and working on documents (not just publishing them)
> tends to cause both patience and respect for the ASCII graphics
> and formats to rise.

I'm surprised folks are apologizing for the initial impression ASCII
text gives, and that people feel MS Word or PDF would represent some
sort of advance. I find both of those formats difficult to use, and my
reaction when I see a spec in PDF or MS Word is to assume the
responsible organization is clueless. The rare specification requiring
elaborate illustrations would be better as HTML with a liberal
sprinkling of fragment identifiers.

--

Robert Sayre