RE: PDF, Postscript, and "normative" versions (was: Re: Baby Steps (was RE: Alternative formats for IDs))

> Before I go on, I continue to be fascinated by the observation
> that, each time the "we really need pictures and fancy
> formatting and need them frequently" argument comes up, the vast
> majority of those who make it most strongly are people whose
> contributions to the IETF -- in designer, editor, or other
> leadership roles-- have been fairly minimal.

This fascinates me too...

With experience, I believe most people learn that the strict
ASCII format used for RFC's is actually a strong feature of
our ways of working. When I wrote my first drafts, I also
believed non-ASCII graphics were needed and I made multiple
versions (one TXT and one PS) of each draft, but I do not
waste my time on that anymore since I have learned that I
can manage very well without non-ASCII graphics.

/L-E