Re: I-D file formats and internationalization

On Sun, 2005-12-04 at 12:22 +0100, Henrik Levkowetz wrote:

> on 2005-12-04 08:52 Doug Ewell said the following:
> > Perhaps it's just me, but I find it bizarre that the question of
> > limiting RFC text to ASCII vs. UTF-8 is being conflated with the
> > question of limiting RFC illustrations to "ASCII art" vs. other graphic
> > formats.  I don't think the two have anything important in common.
>
> It is two different issues.
>
> They are easily conflated because in both cases the ASCII format is
> limiting, and other richer formats are less limiting.
>
> But you're right, and a change of subject line would have been in order.

If by other graphics, this could also mean utilizing graphical
characters to create clean lines, boxes, and borders.  This could be a
matter of the character-repertoire going beyond ASCII in conjunction
with a drawing application.  This approach should permit a simple
translation back into ASCII-artwork for the ASCII only version.

If by graphics you mean something more complex in terms of graphs and
charts, then having a means for reproducing these images will offer a
greater challenge.  It would seem some open-source application should be
specified, where the input data is also made available.  The ASCII only
version could list just this input data in lieu of graphics.

-Doug