Re: XML2RFC submission (was Re: ASCII art)

In message <ed6d469d0511240917u349654b5g3caeba38f5ee9c9a@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bill
Fenner writes:
>On 11/24/05, Steven M. Bellovin <smb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> If we adopt some new format, though, I think we
>> really need the ability to generate diffs of different versions of the
>> same document.
>
>The solution that comes to mind for diffs is to format the old version
>(to text), format the new version, and use the existing tools
>(htmlwdiff, rfcdiff, or others).  There's no sensible way to do a diff
>of a graphic so I think diffing the text form is sensible.

That's certainly one reasonable approach.  My concern was if we decided
that PDF was the right way to publish RFCs -- we'd have no easy way to
do diffs, since some people would use XML, some Word, some OpenOffice,
etc.

Put another way, I'm primarily stating a requirement.