Re: On revising 3777 as in draft-klensin-recall-rev-00

On 15 nov 2005, at 16.43, Dondeti, Lakshminath wrote:

Hi Eliot,

The most recent number of nomcom eligible folks is 849, please see https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/show_nomcom_message.cgi?id=446.  20 people out of that isn't all that high.  I think I might easily find 10 like-minded people; but 20 makes the burden of proof a bit harder and that sounds good to me.

even when i was just 1 person needed to start a recall we never had one, though there may have been cause on occasion.  a lot of discussion went on about the number in the nomcom wg.  i suggest people go back to the archives before restarting the whole discussion.

Furthermore, there have been (rumors of) cases where IESG/IAB members who were purported to be ineffective have been selected again for their positions.  (As to why that is is a different story, and is closely related to the same reason why only about 10% of the nomcom eligible folks actually volunteer to be on the nomcom: apathy).

or perhaps some people secretly really hope to be put on the iab/iesg.  while IETF mythology claims that no one worthy wants the roles, i expect it is not true.  though there is the issue that the work load seems to have increased from being a half time job for the iesg to a full time job, and this may make it difficult for independents or people from small companies to contribute the time.  this may be a good reason for reforming the iesg, but that is a difficult topic and probably belongs to another thread.

it may also be that there is an impression that it is always people from the same core group are selected.  this may also be a myth, but may be enough to dissuade people from getting involved in process they may think somewhat futile.

finally, i am not convinced that everyone realizes how vital a role nomcom plays in the IETF process, or the fact that it _really_ is open to those outside the core group of IETF.

so i think that apathy about nomcom  or willingness to serve in I* may be only a small part of the story.

a.