Re: Faux Pas -- web publication in proprietary formats at ietf.org

Anthony G. Atkielski wrote:

> The advantage of PDF is that it preserves the exact
> appearance of the original document,

For thoe who want this that's nice as far as it works,
but I'm generally more interested in the _content_ and
not style or layout.  And I don't want to print it, I
want to read it.  In a GUI or text mode window with
the dimensions selected by me.

> PDF readers of some kind are available for just about
> every conceivable platform, and they all work extremely
> well.

This is not the case.  Last DOS version I've seen was
AcroDos 1, last available OS/2 version was AcroRead 3.

With PDF I'd guess that my chances are about 50%, for
PS it's more like 90%, for HTML minus JS/CSS/flash etc.
it's 99%, and for US ASCII it's of course 100%.  Dito
for Latin-1 or windows-1252, but I disgress.

> the printing industry long ago adopted PDF (and PDF
> was designed for that industry).

IIRC that _was_ also the initial idea of SGML.

> HTML may look nothing like the author intended.

Now if the author is more interested in his layout than
readability and accesibility, let alone transport costs,
then he's obviously stupid.

> I don't need fancy formatting in e-mail.

I don't need "1:1 printability", as long as I can read
it it's fine from my POV.

> If I truly wish to send something that is nicely
> formatted, I send PDF.

Version history popstop.cmd 1.7:
| Added JV to MAGIC(), binary starts with %PDF or similar

> They are mostly geeks, with a poor grasp of the
> real world of end users

It was only a spammer trying PDF because it offers links
not found by SpamCop's parser.
                             Bye, Frank