RE: Faux Pas -- web publication in proprietary formats at ietf.org

> PDF is *very* vendor-specific and proprietary. Who sets the
> standards for PDF? I remember there used to be discussions
> here if the RFC's should be published in PDF also. It's
> always rejected of course, even if PDF is probably the best
> standard you can get for a formated document (better than
> postscript that it was derrived from). So you may want to ask
> people for Postscript there if you are really that centric
> about open standards. :-)

Postscript is no different, it is a proprietary format but one the IETF has in the past used for standards and still accepts as a secondary - despite the fact postscript support is no longer ubiquitous.

> The use of standards in this world is shyzophrene, I used to
> be against HTML emails too, but I got used to it and consider
> it very practical to mark words in diffrent colors in long
> replies. But I imagine if I send a html mail to this list I
> will get flamed (depends on the list police of html email though).

Every time I see one of those stupid 'campaign against HTML email' sigs I send a reply in HTML.

HTML was intended to be an email format and works well as an email format. _javascript_ on the other hand...

I take the view that this is a technology business and if people don't like new technology they probably have less to contribute than they imagine.