Re: 2606bis

--On Wednesday, 19 October, 2005 14:40 -0700 Bill Fenner
<fenner@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 10/19/05, Frank Ellermann <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> ... to see a big red blinking WAIT
>> for each normative reference to an informational RfC.
>
> Not if the RFC 3967 procedure is followed ("Clarifying when
> Standards Track Documents may Refer Normatively to Documents
> at a Lower Level.")

Or, of course, we could ask for a Last Call and retroactively
reclassify RFC 1591 as a BCP.  Because there was not even a
serious attempt to solicit or identify community consensus
around the variations that ICANN's ICP-1 introduced into the RFC
1591 norms and definitions, and a large fraction of top-level
domains and others have declined to accept the ICANN version,
1591 probably still does represent a best practice consensus in
most respects.
:-)

    john