Re: Cost vs. Benefit of Real-Time Applications and Infrastucture Area

--On onsdag, september 21, 2005 16:51:40 -0400 Melinda Shore <mshore@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm unclear on what specific problems you think that adding
a new area would introduce.  I'm not sure how big "too big"
is in this case.  I've been involved with a number of
consensus-based organizations in the past, and have found that
the decision-making process breaks down at between 20
and 25 participants.

The two traditional breakpoints I've heard of in group dynamics are somewhere around seven and somewhere around 25 - around seven, you stop being able to have a discussion with everyone engaged at the same time; at 25, you stop being able to do anything cooperative, and have to resort to "controlled" groups - basically, you switch to "lecture with questions" mode.

Disclaimer: I never knew much about the area, and I have forgotten most of what I learned.

                      Harald