RE: Possible new Real-Time Applications and Infrastucture (RAI)Area

--On mandag, september 19, 2005 13:51:54 +0200 Yaakov Stein <yaakov_s@xxxxxxx> wrote:

The RAI Area is seeded with existing working groups from the Transport
and Applications Area: SIP, SIPPING, XCON, SIMPLE, GEOPRIV, ECRIT,
ENUM, IPTEL, MEGACO, MMUSIC, IEPREP, SPEECHSC, and SIGTRAN.

I don't really see how GEOPRIV and ECRIT fit in,
based on the delay sensitivity criterion, although they may
somewhat satisfy the rule of thumb.

Good to see more comment on this topic! (which is one I like)

I think all areas in the IETF are more-or-less defined as "core of the area" + "what is closely linked to the core" + "what fits less badly there than elsewhere" - ECRIT would come under "closely linked", since its subject area is use of the SIP-type services; GEOPRIV might be more characteristic of "fits less badly here than elsewhere" - it is used by many of the services like ECRIT, but is also used (or should be) by WGs in other areas.

                    Harald