Re: Summary of the LLMNR Last Call

At 3:55 PM -0700 9/18/05, Stuart Cheshire wrote:
mDNS takes the approach
that local lookups should be distinguishable from global lookups and
accomplishes this through the use of a special local domain (.local).

This claim is one of the bits of misinformation that seems to be spread
about mDNS for some reason. It's repeated so often that people who
haven't read the draft assume it's true.

[...]

   (14. Enabling and Disabling Multicast DNS)

   The option to fail-over to Multicast DNS for names not ending
   in ".local." SHOULD be a user-configured option, and SHOULD
   be disabled by default because of the possible security issues
   related to unintended local resolution of apparently global names.

Okay. Please feel free to insert "In it's recommended default configuration" in whatever place is appropriate to make my statement more accurate.

Regardless of what is specified in mDNS, my point stands that several members of the community raised technical (security) and philosophical (application transparency) issues with the model used by LLMNR. Perhaps they would have the same concerns about this optional feature in mDNS, but that is not my concern at the moment.

Margaret