Re: ISMS working group and charter problems

> > BTW, nothing about your note explains to me why you think that this
> > mechanism should be defined in a Security area WG that is working on a
> > completely separable problem.

The intent of ISMS is for SNMP to share common security infrastructure,
and in particular, common security infrastructures which are
session-based.  So, ISMS has decided that "session-based security" is
needed, which is an architectural departure from the "datagram-based
security" previously specified by the Net Mgmt Area (to see why, see **
below.)

Therefore, I suggest the problem is only *partially* separable.
Call-Home involves two issues:  1) the passing through
Firewalls/whatever issue which is completely separable, and 2) the
session v. datagram issue which is not separable.  Specifically, the
non-separable part is about who sets up the session, and what types of
messages can be sent on a session which was setup by a device
calling-home.

> >                              If you really think that defining call
> > home for SNMP is something that the IETF should do, I would encourage
> > you to get together with Eliot and request a BOF in the OPS area.
>
> That's because I haven't formed an opinion on it. My main point
> is that this doesn't seem to me to be any sort of wildly divergent
> architectural proposition, at least on the front of who "initiates"
> a connection.  As Harald pointed out, I really can't see how you'd
> prevent some industrious developers from using SNMP in this way
> regardless of how the working group is chartered, and from that
> standpoint it might be better to get ahead of the ball on it if
> it were inevitable, and it does seem to have a fair number of
> security considerations.

Exactly.

My concerns with the charter are:

1. that if the charter declares Call-Home as out-of-scope, then there
will be technical/architectural issues which are relevant but cannot
be discussed because they are out-of-scope, and

2. consequently, the decisions made might well end up such that they
cannot even be extended later to support Call-Home.

3. and if so, nobody will want to define (at a later date) yet another
SNMP Security Model even if that is the only way to support Call-Home.

Keith.

** In "session-based security", only one SNMP user can use the session
at a time.  In contrast, the current SNMP architecture assumes
"datagram-based security", in which security is carried in every SNMP
message independent of any session/connection.  Consider that RFC 3430
(SNMP-over-TCP) says:

   It is RECOMMENDED that implementors consider the security features as
   provided by the SNMPv3 framework in order to provide SNMP security.
   Specifically, the use of the User-based Security Model STD 62, RFC
   3414 [10] and the View-based Access Control Model STD 62, RFC 3415
   [11] is RECOMMENDED.

In USM, each message has its own security, e.g., two different SNMP
users can be using the same TCP connection at the same time.  ISMS's
proposal for SNMP-over-SSH will require all SNMP messages on one SSH
session to be for the same SNMP user.

Also remember that the security parameters of a USM message are
dependent on the PDU type contained in the message (specificially,
whether the sender or receiver is "authoritative").  So, "what types
of messages can be sent on a session which was setup by a device
calling-home" is both a security and an architectural issue.