Re: Last Call: 'Linklocal Multicast Name Resolution (LLMNR)' toProposed Standard

Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> It would be an interesting experiment to make an easy-to-use DNS
> implementation for local use that runs on a residential gateway. But  to
> be part of the global DNS requires delegation pointers from  elsewhere,
> and most residential/SOHO users don't have addresses that  are stable
> enough to make this usable. This may change with IPv6,  though.

Quite frankly the mechanisms between registry, domain owner, and service
provider suck rocks.  Think about what has to happen on just the
following three cases:

 - new customer, new domain
 Customer has to register domain, provide that name to the ISP, and
 have the ISP either list all hosts or delegate back to the customer
 name servers for reverse lookup.

 - new customer, old domain
 Customer has to change name servers by contacting registry and
 repeat reverse lookup steps

 - same customer, same domain, ISP renumbers
 ISP has to delegate addresses down to customer (a'la prefix
 delegation) and customer must then contact registry.

I've simplified the renumbering steps as many will note, but still
this shouldn't be hopeless.  I just don't see any interest in actually
fixing the problem.

Eliot