RE: Last Call: 'Linklocal Multicast Name Resolution (LLMNR)' to Proposed Standard

[for as112 project: maybe add .local into the list of domains??]

On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 14:24 -0700, Christian Huitema wrote:
> > >Windows 98, Windows 2000 and Windows XP do not enable LLMNR by
> default.
> >
> > Christian, could you please tell us, for each OS mentioned, how to
> enable
> > LLMNR? That would enable everyone participating in this discussion to
> > witness for themselves exactly how it works and what it does.
>
> You would have to get an experimental implementation of LLMNR from some
> developer site.

This is not 'simply enabling it' :) And then I also wonder if there
actually is an implementation for Win98/Win2k those two being pretty old
and quite unsupported by now I guess... but this besides the point.

> To the best of my knowledge, Microsoft is not shipping
> this code. In these systems, ad hoc names are resolved through NETBIOS.
> The ".local" queries observed in Peter's root servers is most certainly
> not caused by an LLMNR implementation.

They are most likely done by these nice DSL "router" (NAT :) setups.
Most of these devices have a .local zone configured too. I would not be
surprised if these leaked their queries to the root servers.

That said, if people want to limit the effect of these 'bogus' queries
onto the root servers I suggest that ISP's join into the AS112 project.
Also it would maybe be an idea for AS112 to add .local there?

Greets,
 Jeroen

PS: Who ever named the LLMNR draft 'mdns' isn't that completely
confusing for people looking up the mDNS draft, that is the protocol
that Stuart made? :)