Re: What RFC 2460 means (was: Re: RFC 2434 term "IESG approval" (Re: IANA Action: Assignment ofan IPV6 Hop-by-hop Option))

John C Klensin <john@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> --On Wednesday, 06 July, 2005 17:28 +0200 Brian E Carpenter
> <brc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> [Robert Elz wrote:]
>
>>> It isn't really that bad, the option with 17 in the low 5
>>> bits and 0 in the upper 3 is a different option than the one
>>> with 17 in the low 5 bits and 7 in the upper 3.
>>>
>>> So, really there are 8 distint groups of 32 options each.
>>
>> Well, that is not how I read the text in RFC 2460. It's pretty
>> clear to me that there are only 32 option codes and that the other
>> three bits don't extend the code space, but rather they modify the
>> meaning of the 32 basic options. (e.g. the same option can have a
>> hop-by-hop flavour and an e2e flavour).
>
> Please set aside, at least temporarily, the issues that got us
> to this point.   It seems to me that, if you and kre, both of
> whom have considerable experience reading these sorts of
> documents, can't agree on what 2460 means and how these bits are
> to be interpreted, we have a really urgent need for some
> clarification.
>
> Can you get the appropriate AD to sign up for that job and get
> it assigned to a WG as appropriate?

   It's rare that I find myself disagreeing with John Klensin, but
in this case I must.

   The clarification is already done, at:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv6-parameters

Section 5b makes it clear that IANA considers Option Types to be
eight bits, and is assigning eight-bit values.

   As a temporary policy, they are currently assigning unique values
in the 5-bit "rest" subfield.

   We should consider IANA fully competent to interpret this issue,
and IMHO it would be wrong for IESG to ask anyone to second-guess
IANA here.

--
John Leslie <john@xxxxxxx>