RE: RFC 2434 term "IESG approval" (Re: IANA Action: Assignment ofan IPV6 Hop-by-hop Option)

> I think as has already been suggested we are having two different
> discussions masquerade as one.  I obviously can't speak for Robert but
it
> seems to me he is not saying the IESG ought to approve every (or any)
> extension of IP, he is merely saying each should have an option number
> assigned.  Why assign a dangerous, harmful protocol an option?  For
the
> same
> reason sex offenders in the US have to register - so everyone can be
aware
> of their presence and take the appropriate precautions.

The problem is the really small size of the option type field in IPv6.
There really only are 5 bits available for numbering both the hop by hop
and the end to end options. That makes for a grand total of 32, of which
three are assigned by basic IPv6 specs. So, there really are good
reasons to be somewhat conservative with the assignments.

-- Christian Huitema