Re: Should the IESG rule or not? and all that...

Bob,

I am in violent agreement with much of what you say. The differences may be interesting...

--On Friday, July 01, 2005 10:41 AM -0700 Bob Braden <braden@xxxxxxx> wrote:

My thoughts on reading the IPv6 H/H Option discussion:

	Some technical decisions about the Internet protocol suite are
	more important that others.  Decisions about application-layer
	issues are of course important to particular segments of the
	community and industry, but decisions that impinge on the
	fundamental communication mechanism of the Internet are
	critical to us all.  Such decisions must be made very, very
	carefully, with considerable care and not a little wisdom.

	History has established the IETF as the body responsible for
	decisions about the fundamental structure of the Internet.
	W3C certainly can set standards at the application layer,
	for example, but decisions about the waist of the "hour
	glass" belong in the IETF.  We need to take this
	responsibility seriously, and waste less time on lawyering
	the procedures.

Agreed on both counts. I've found the lawyering particularly bothersome when the discussion turns to what one document or another says the IESG _can_ do, rather than what the right thing to do is.

	You cannot provide "adult supervision" over the Internet
	protocol suite with a committee of 2000 people; you have
	to delegate a major responsibility to a small group of
	technical experts.  Technocratic democracy is fine up to
	a point, but ...

I agree, as long as the group involved really are the technical experts on the subject matter involved, and as long as they are willing to assume that responsibility. See below.

	After Kobe, the IETF established the IESG and IAB as twin
	oversight bodies with some responsibility to look after
	the overall technical health of the Internet, especially
	the important parts.  As a member of the RFC Editor team,
	I have had the privilege to sitting in IESG meetings now
	and then, and I know from that experience that the IESG
	takes this responsibility very, very seriously, as they
	ought.

Indeed. Having been on the IESG right after the post-Kobe transition, and having been on every one of their calls for a while more recently, I would agree about the seriousness. I have also seen a little more procedure-lawyering and tendencies to interpret procedures in ways that are either very narrow or very creating and then to appeal to them rather than taking real responsibility for actions -- not frequently, but a little more frequently than makes me comfortable or that I think should make the community comfortable.

	It is true that the IETF has no strict control over what bits
	people choose to put into IP headers, but in fact we have a
lot 	of influence.  We can bring quite a bit of informal
pressure 	against renegade (from our viewpoint) companies or
bodies.  For 	example, the Host Requirements RFCs successfully
deprecated and 	effectively eliminated a number of technical
deviations.  So 	the registration process is important and
gives us some 	leverage, as long as we continue to act as
adults.

Yes. However -- and I think this falls within the range of acting like adults -- that influence and ability exert informal pressure arises from our ability to reason carefully about what we are doing and what we prefer, to explain our reasoning and conclusions, and generally to be persuasive about our positions.
From my point of view, the Host Requirements RFCs were
successful precisely because they resulted from very careful and fairly open debate, from further review within the community, and even from your being willing to supplement them with a discussion the process of developing them, including areas in which agreement could not be reached (in RFC 1127).

From my point of view, it would be in the best tradition of the
IETF for us to say to the other standards bodies involved "look, this is our area of expertise, it is potentially harmful to the Internet for you to go off and make standards in this area, especially so without consulting us, and we want to engage in a serious review and technical discussion with you before this is registered". The registration process would help give us significant leverage in making sure that discussion was held and that people listened carefully to each other, which is, I think, what you are suggesting above. I would hope --and even presume-- that such dialogue would either cause the problematic proposals to be modified appropriately or even to disappear. And I would consider our being willing to engage in such a discussion to be adult behavior. Sounds like we are in agreement, yes?

However, consider instead the situation we find ourselves in. The IESG, at least in the interpretation as given on this list by some of its members, has said, essentially, "We have concluded that this requires technical review within the IETF before it is registered. We have the 'right' to decide whether such review occurs or not, and we have decided to not arrange for it. Therefore, the registration request is rejected and you lose."

Despite the good intentions, of which I have no doubt, that sounds more juvenile than adult. If we were somehow the Internet's respected parents, able to impose our experience-based preferences on other standards bodies, it might still be appropriate. But we are not: we succeed only when we can persuade. While our experience and track record should be persuasive when we reach a conclusion as a community (or via the relevant expert subset of it), that persuasion requires that we be willing to engage in honest and open discussions, rather than displays of authority (parental or otherwise).

While I am very sympathetic to the concerns that Sam and others have expressed about allocation of resources, what has happened here has none of the properties of technical review by experts on the specific subject matter that you suggest above. It involves neither the broad discussion and community review that led to 1122 and 1123, nor the notion of a dialogue about protocol changes and extensions that are a large component of IETF's credibility in this area. As adult behavior, it is perhaps a little bit too close to "nah, nah, it is my game and you don't get to play" for my comfort, especially since it is _not_ our game, or is our game only as long as we behave like adults who are willing to engage in dialogue and explanations with others. And that is where I think we are, collectively, falling down on the job and putting both the Internet and the IETF's role in it, at risk.

regards,
   john