Re: IANA Action: Assignment of an IPV6 Hop-by-hop Option

Brian - I think part of my difficulty in understanding what has
transpired is that the process was truly "invisible" and what little
written record exists is misleading.  I now infer that the initial entry
in the minutes of the IESG meeting of 2005-04-14 records that Allison
took responsibility for managing the process to reach a decision within
the IESG and for writing a response, and that the IESG then had a
discussion and approved the final response on 2005-05-26.

I understand that this process was an IESG decision and much of the
discussion took place on line.  But there appears to be no other record
about the decision than a few terse entries in the IESG minutes.
Following up on your comparison with IETF WGs, WG debates and decisions
formally take place on a public mailing list, so there is a record of
the process through which the decision was made.  In the case of this
IESG decision, the only information I have about the decision is the
announcement of the decision.

The problem for me, then, is that I was surprised by the IESG decision
and am trying to understand how the IESG reached its decision.  Now I
understand that the IESG deliberated for six weeks, from which I infer
there was consideration of both technical and procedural issues arising
from the initial request.

- Ralph