Re: IANA Action: Assignment of an IPV6 Hop-by-hop Option

Brian...

On Sun, 2005-06-26 at 17:50 +0200, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> Ralph,
>
> Ralph Droms wrote:
> > I'd like to understand the process through which Dr. Roberts' request
> > was reviewed.  The first reference I can find to Dr. Roberts' request is
> > in the 2005-04-14 minutes of the IESG
> > (https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/view_telechat_minute.cgi?
> > command=view_minute&id=318  see below).  According to the rejection
> > announcement, the IESG reviewed the submission and determined that
> > "Reviewing this proposal within the IETF as an alternative to the
> > ongoing work would be a multi-year endeavor. The IESG is pessimistic
> > that this effort would ever achieve consensus."  The minutes refer to
> > discussion of a "management issue".  Was the entire review conducted in
> > the meeting on 2005-04-14, or was there additional review conducted
> > prior to that meeting? How, exactly, did the IESG review the submission
> > and how did the IESG come to its conclusion?
> >

> > - Ralph
>
> This took many weeks, considerable email, and several informal
> discussions before the IESG was sure of its position and able to
> record a conclusion in the meeting you cite. Since there was no
> IETF contribution (I-D or email on a public list) this process
> was indeed invisible. I would have preferred a discussion based
> around an IETF draft, but we didn't have one.

>     Brian

I don't understand the cause-and-effect: why would the lack of an IETF
contribution lead to an invisible process?

Dr. Roberts' original request was apparently received by IANA on
2005-03-25 and forwarded by IANA to the IESG on 2005-04-07.  Did the
IESG reach its conclusions about the request during its 2005-04-14
teleconference or at a later time?  It may be that the IESG minutes
aren't clear...

- Ralph