Re: IANA Action: Assignment of an IPV6 Hop-by-hop Option

Ralph,

Under RFC 2780, IPv6 hop-by-hop option numbers are granted
either with an approved IETF document, or an IESG review.

IANA made the request to IESG under the last option in
RFC 2780, and the IESG did its reviewing within the IESG.
We followed the BCP process.  Note that we do not even
have clear permission to provide the document we reviewed
to the IETF.  IANA requests from other standards bodies
where there is not an i-d do not presume an available
document.

There were several cross-area questions to the review:

  - IPSec, transport and reservation protocol technical review.
  - Review of past similar cases.
  - Implications of  the TIA standard published from same
    Roberts draft. TIA does not currently "borrow" a codepoint,
    but we needed to track this down.
  - Contextualization of this request to our very recent
    discussions (May 2) with ITU about protocol extensions and
    codepoints.

These took a bit of time.

Are you trying to construct a timeline from the minutes?
I'm afraid the IESG minutes are made from a tool-form focussed
on the documents and WG charters, and tend to have limited
free-form information, something that really can only change if
we add a person like the IAB has in Rich Draves.

Allison