Re: put http://tools.ietf.org/ on the IETF website

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 10:27:49 +0200
 Brian E Carpenter <brc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Marshall,
>
> Marshall Eubanks wrote:
> > On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 15:37:50 +0200
> >  Brian E Carpenter <brc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >>It's well understood that the ietf.org site is hard to navigate and needs
> >>substantial reorganisation. But this is a major project and will take
> >>time to plan and implement.
> >>

> > Dear Brian;
> >
> > Since in a real way this is the public interface of the IETF (and since I have heard
> > lots of complaints about it over the years), wouldn't it make sense to
> >
> > - specifically ask for public suggestions for improvements
> > - have a BOF or an open house in Paris or Vancouver devoted to discussing this
>
> I agree that we need public comment before action. The challenge with
> web design is that explaining what's wrong and what would be better is
> very hard to do except in front of the screen. I'm not sure a BOF style
> meeting would succeed. Also, I'm pretty sure we can't prepare for this
> by Paris - it's resource constrained.

I agree, and have no doubt that Paris is too soon. However, I also know that feature creep
(add X to the front page, as in the
title of this thread) is not really a good way to do web design -
and that the IETF site is ripe for a re-design.

I (like, I suspect, many others) basically use Google as my initial IETF resource for
everything except meetings. (For example, when I first heard about IETF tools, I
went to Google and rapidly found the tools site and a bunch more.) Google basically solves
the forward problem (find out more about X), but it does little for the
inverse problem (which set of X's should I know about), and this, IMHO, is what the
IETF web site should assist with, and does not (much). This, of course, cannot be solved
by hiring a fancy web design shop in Venice Beach or Soho and telling them to go to it,
but will require thought and community input.

Regards
Marshall