RE: The IETF needs your input about the Spamops document

>  In the part 4 (external submission), the document offers no recommendation
>  concerning the blocking of SMTP port 25.
>  Even if the ISP decides not to block it, this ISP should be covered by
>  this future RFC to legitimate its choice of closing port 25.(a single MAY
>  can be enough)

Unfortunately, blocking port 25 is controversial.  The goal of the current draft
is to specify procedures that are well-accepted.

So we decided to cite the existence of port 25 blocking -- just so no one
thought we missed it -- but to have the document explicitly abstain from taking
a position.

If we try to add text that legitimizes port 25 blocking, we are certain
to get extensive debate that will not result in rough consensus.  I say
this with such certitude because the issue has been debated in a variety
of forums repeatedly.

  d/
  ---
  Dave Crocker