Re: Voting (again)

Hi Sam (and everyone else),

At 5:38 PM -0400 4/26/05, Sam Hartman wrote:
I'd just like to say that I'm not at all sure being an AD is a full
time job.  It certainly sometimes is.

I do not work for the IETF full-time. I have a demanding full-time job, a family and other interests.

It is hard to give an accurate estimate of the amount of time that I spend on my IESG job for two reasons:

    (1) It varies quite a bit from month-to-month.
    (2) The borders of  the AD job are not well-defined.

I've tried to keep track at various points, and I would estimate that I spend an average of ~15 hours per week doing IESG work on a sustained basis. In addition, I spend ~4 full-time weeks per year at IETF meetings and other IESG meetings. This is still my first IESG term, so there is no indication yet as to whether the community is satisfied with the quantity or quality of my work.

I spend a few hours a week on other IETF-related work (I still do a few things in the IETF that are not IESG work).

I also spend a few hours per week on ISOC Board activities, in addition to ~6 days full days of f2f ISOC Board meetings per year.

My IETF/IESG/ISOC responsibilities do not preclude me from working ~50 hours per week at my day job, except for the ~5 full-time weeks we (I and my employer) give to the IETF/ISOC.

I do sometimes find that my IESG responsibilities interfere with my day job responsibilities and vice versa, particularly when it comes to allocation of the small number of hours (~25 per week) where business hours in EST and PST overlap. I make my best effort to deal with these conflicts, but my choices may not always be acceptable to both sides.

Margaret