Re: text suggested by ADs

On Thursday, April 28, 2005 03:39:36 PM -0700 Joe Touch <touch@xxxxxxx> wrote:

They're only equivalent if another AD can't tell the difference between
the two. IMO, they could, were they involved in the process.

If I may read between the lines here, it sounds like you're suggesting some sort of reality-check process that is more lightweight than a full appeal. Informally, we have that -- if one AD is giving me a hard time for a dumb reason, I can ask another AD to try to talk some sense into them. But that only works if the participant has a good relationship with another AD, and while you hope that's true for WG chairs, that might not always be good enough.

So maybe your concern would be addressed by some sort of "discuss override" mechanism, by which the IESG could actively decide that a discuss is inappropriate and disregard it. Such a mechanism would have to be invoked explicitly, and would perhaps involve a consensus call by the IESG chair...