Re: french crypto regulations relating to personal encryption usage by visitors?

On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 05:06:20AM +0200,
 Anthony G. Atkielski <anthony@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
 a message of 58 lines which said:

> The legislation on cryptography in France is vast and complicated;

Yes and the last update was in last july so you have to apply a lot of
diffs to know the current situation (think of DNS-related RFCs...).

> believe it still holds the record for severity of restrictions in
> the developed world.

Yes.

> However, the laws have been greatly liberalized in recent years,

Yes.

> and those laws that remain seem to be quite loosely enforced.

It seems they have never been enforced at all. I remember talking in
the Parliament at a crypto hearing, wearing the famous RSA-in-3-lines
T-shirt and claiming "I use crypto illegally" and of course nothing
happened to me.

> In practice, I don't know if any of this is enforced for individuals
> travelling on business or for other reasons, since almost everyone
> with any kind of PC today has some sort of encryption software on
> the PC.

Practically speaking, I agree we whould ignore the problem.