Re: french crypto regulations relating to personal encryption usage by visitors?

Bill Sommerfeld writes:

> As the next IETF meeting will be in Paris, and France has had something
> a reputation for placing strict controls on the use of cryptography, I
> took a look..
>
> (This is, of course, a matter of potential concern to those of us who
> carry laptops with encryption software for personal use to every IETF
> meeting...)
>
> It appears that France may have recently substantially liberalized its
> regulation of cryptography.  A site at:
>
> http://rechten.uvt.nl/koops/cryptolaw/cls2.htm#fr
>
> has what claims to be a summary.  There appears to be a personal use
> exemption of some sort but there's no mention of re-export of the laptop
> you imported when you entered the country..

The legislation on cryptography in France is vast and complicated; I
believe it still holds the record for severity of restrictions in the
developed world.  However, the laws have been greatly liberalized in
recent years, and those laws that remain seem to be quite loosely
enforced.

In theory, from what I've been able to distill of the existing
legislation, you're supposed to declare exportation of any type of
crypto software, and unrestricted crypto applies only to effective key
lengths of 128 bits or less.  In practice, I don't know if any of this
is enforced for individuals travelling on business or for other reasons,
since almost everyone with any kind of PC today has some sort of
encryption software on the PC.

> I'm not particularly worried as most of these laws are rarely enforced
> in other countries.  Anyone have a better idea?

They appear to be rarely enforced in France as well.

France has traditionally been powerfully influenced by the strong
lobbying of military and spook agencies, both of whom predictably
believe that nobody shold have crypto but them.  Even so, the country
has very gradually come to realize that the information infrastructure
of the nation is impossible to keep secure without widespread and
unrestricted use of crypto, and I think this realization, plus the
embarrassment of having draconian legislation while other industrialized
nations have long ago seen the light, has encouraged the considerable
liberalization of the law and the very light enforcement of what
remains.

So in summary, you shouldn't have anything to worry about, but I'm not a
lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.