Re: reduce jitter in routed network for voip applications

At 06:09 AM 3/28/2005, Daniele Giordano wrote...
>RTP is transparent at the transport layer. We analyse TCP and UDP:
>TCP is connection oriented and so the communication begins with the
>definition of a virtual circuit.
>A virtual circuit is a temporary connection of sequence nodes with relative
>reservation of bandwidth.
>A connection oriented service gives the certainty that all information units
>use the same nodes with a same medium latency.
>Same latency maintains reduced the jitter.

That is incorrect unless _other_, stateful protocols (ex. RSVP, integrated services) are in use throughout the entire network. That is not the general case.

IP routes on a per hop basis, whether TCP or UDP. There is no "virtual circuit" created, except at the endpoints.

>I think that RTP should use a layer 4 connection oriented protocol (like
>TCP) but without retransmissions of information units with excessive delay
>or errors (like UDP).
>
>What do you think about this?

You're trying to solve a problem which is incorrectly defined, and therefore doesn't exist.

Diffserv already provides a QoS mechanism for VoIP and does not require gateways to maintain state for each connection. It, like Intserv, cannot be assumed to exist through any random Internet path. RFC2474, RFC2475.