Re: reduce jitter in routed network for voip applications

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005, Daniele Giordano wrote:

> voip applications use connectionless layer 4 protocols and this increases
> jitter. A layer 4 connection oriented protocol limits jitter but it must not
> use packet checks in voip applications.

Connection oriented protocols don't limit jitter. Jitter is the same no
matter what. However, a very late packet is discarded by a jitter buffer.
(you don't care what joe said 10 seconds ago--if it didn't get here in the
jitter buffer, its too late.)  But it would not be discarded by a
connection oriented protocol. You'd hear what joe said 10 seconds ago, and
then you would have to wait 10 seconds to hear what joe just said. This is
OK for streaming a song. Its not fine for two way voice.

> Is there an intefrace between TCP and UDP? Isn't there a "TDP" (transfer
> datagram protocol) that joins the two features?
> What do you think about this?

Right protocol for the right purpose.  We already have RTSP for streaming,
and RTP for voip.

617 344 9000