Employment status of IAD (was: Re: Review of draft-ietf-iasa-bcp-04.txt)

--On Friday, 21 January, 2005 08:45 -0500 Scott Bradner
<sob@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> how about (in response to Elwyn's comment)
>
>    Although the IAD is an ISOC employee, he or she works under
> the    direction of the IAOC.  A committee of the IAOC is
> responsible for    hiring and firing of the IAD, for reviewing
> the performance and for    setting the compensation of the
> IAD.   The members of this committee are    appointed by the
> IAOC, and consist at minimum of the ISOC President and    the
> IETF Chair.

As a safeguard against the appearance of cabals, etc., if there
is going to be a statement about the minimum membership of that
committee, it should also include an IETF-appointed member who
is not a member of the IESG or IAB.  This is a little bit like
the "outside director" requirement that is common for personnel
committees of standard corporate boards.

I don't think I'm concerned about a real risk of problems here,
but it is always desirable to avoid any possible appearance of
impropriety, especially when that is easy.

    john