Re: Suggest no change: #739 Assuring ISOC commitment to AdminRest

Pete Resnick <presnick@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> On 1/13/05 at 1:34 PM +0100, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
>>As Brian Carpenter said:
>>
>>> I'm not saying a bylaw change would be a bad thing, in due
>>> time. But ISOC can get a Board motion through in about 2 weeks,
>>> whereas a bylaw change takes several months. Making it a
>>> prerequisite would cause us to lose precious time.
>>
>> And the ISOC BoT has plenty of stuff on its plate just caring for
>> the rest of the effects of this process, if I understand Steve
>> Crocker correctly.
>
> I personally don't believe that a resolution is a sufficient mechanism
> for codification of this on the ISOC side.
> I made the suggestion of a
> by-law change, and I'm not convinced of the "takes several months"
> (though I'm willing to hear some convincing arguments as to why that
> should be the case). I'm willing to hear about other codifying
> mechanisms. I can't speak for others, but I suspect there are others
> in the same boat with me.

I certainly am. In that vein, I'd note that the fact that it's
difficult for ISOC to make this kind of commitment is a feature,
not a bug, because it makes it difficult for them to back out
later.

>> I suggest that we close this ticket as "no change required" - the
>> issue will not be forgotten, but it should not affect this document.
>
> I object to this entirely.

As do I. How is closing it as "no change required" operationally
different from forgetting it?

-Ekr