Last Call on Language Tags (RE: draft-phillips-langtags-08)

Hi.

I have been following the extensive discussions of this subject
on the IETF and Language-Tags lists (somewhat over 100 relevant
messages by my rough count, although with the vast major of them
from around five participants).  I note that much of it has not
been explicitly copied to the IESG list.   For a number of
reasons, I've deliberately avoided making public comments to
date, but want to summarize some reactions before the Last Call
closes.

(1)  I had two key concerns when Harald asked me to look at an
early version of this draft.  They continued with the first last
call version, and a still concerns with this version.   They
were and are:

	(i) It is significantly more complicated than RFC 3066,
	which it proposes to replace.  While this is clearly an
	interesting intellectual exercise, that additional
	complexity is not clearly justified.  I.e., if we are
	going to replace a standard that is in
	(apparently-successful) use with one that is more
	complex, the added complexity should be strongly
	justified in terms of requirements and problems being
	solved.    While section 6 of the current draft provides
	some of the relevant motivation, it is not nearly strong
	enough, IMO, to justify the replacement.

	(ii) The notion of "converting" an IANA registry (see
	Appendix C) has little precedent in the IETF or in IANA
	and I would suggest that we do not have a good track
	record for such conversions.  The authors propose to
	maintain the existing registrations in the existing
	registry but not add new ones there.   The resultant
	status of standards-track documents that reference 3066
	and its registry is unclear.  Presumably, those
	documents would need to be revised and re-processed to
	update them to reference the new spec and registry and
	implementations that are non-conformant to the new rules
	would need to be changed.   From an IETF procedural
	standpoint, that would require replacing at least some
	documents that are now at Draft Standard with new
	Proposed Standards, which has been a major source of
	user and implementer confusion.  It is something we have
	done when we have to, but the justification does not
	appear to be present in this document

	(iii) As the section above implies, and as has been
	pointed out on the list, this specification is not
	precisely upward-compatible with the specification of
	RFC 3066.  The document claims otherwise, then proceeds
	to point out the incompatibilities (e.g., if it were
	completely upward-compatible, registry conversion would
	not be needed).  That situation, again, should pose a
	very high level of requirement for justification of the
	change.

(2) Some days ago, the authors indicated that they were
producing and posting a new version of the draft in response to
some of the on-list comments.   Some of those comments were
quite substantive, others probably not.   That new draft has not
yet appeared; I suggest that, if any of the changes might be
substantive, it will require a new round of community review to
determine whether any changes that have been made have a
negative impact on requirements or other details that were
previously acceptable and to identify any comments that were
withheld pending the new draft.  This is particularly important
since the document proposes to supercede and replace an existing
BCP and IANA registry that are in active use.  I.e., this is
going to need yet another Last Call.

(3) Rather than moving to an almost-unprecedented third Last
Call (with more to come if this process is to continue as it has
proceeded in the past), I'd like to offer three alternate
suggestions.  I hope these are mutually exclusive.

	(i) Since we have no "Next-Best Current Practices"
	category, publish this as an Informational Document,
	moving it to BCP (and to "obsoletes 3066") only when
	revisions of all documents that reference the 3066
	registry (that includes not only IETF standards-track
	and BCP documents, but also the ICANN IDN registration
	procedures document and perhaps others) have been
	written and have achieved community consensus.

	(ii) Revise the introductory material in this document
	to indicate that it is an alternative to 3066 that may
	be more appropriate for some purposes and identify at
	least some of those purposes.  Revise the "registry
	conversion" material to provide a way to seed the new
	registry and, if appropriate, providing for simultaneous
	registration in both registries for new submissions.
	Based on those changes, indicate that it modifies
	("updates") 3066, rather than obsoleting it.   Most of
	my important concerns, although not some of those that
	have been raised on the IETF list about details, would
	disappear if this document paralleled, rather than
	superceding, 3066.

	(iii) One way to read this document, and 3066 itself for
	that matter, is that they constitute a critique of IS
	639 in terms of its adequacy for Internet use.   From
	that perspective, the difference between the two is that
	3066 was prepared specifically to meet known and
	identifiable Internet protocol requirements that were
	not in the scope of IS 639.  The new proposal is more
	general and seems to have much the same scope as ISO
	639-2 has, or should have.  It is not in the IETF's
	interest to second-guess the established standards of
	other standards bodies when that can be avoided and,
	despite the good efforts of an excellent and qualified
	choice or tag reviewer, this is not an area in which the
	IETF (and still less the IANA) are deeply expert.  So
	there is a case to be made that this draft should be
	handed off to ISO TC 37 for processing, either for
	integration into IS 639-2 or, perhaps, as the basis of a
	new document that integrates the language coding of
	639-2 with the script coding of IS 15924.

thanks,
    john