Re: Issue #727: Section 2.2, 4, & 7 - Miscellaneous & editorial

--On Sunday, 02 January, 2005 08:19 -0500 Scott Bradner
<sob@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> brian asks
>> Perhaps we do indeed need to explicitly limit the
>> IAOC Chair to chairing the IAOC. But we almost do - the
>> following paragraph says:
>>
>>     The chair of the IAOC shall have the authority to manage
>>     the activities and meetings of the IAOC.  The IAOC Chair
>>     has no formal duty to represent the IAOC, except as
>>     directed by IAOC consensus.
>>
>> Isn't this enough?
>
> maybe the 2nd sentence change to
>
>   The IAOC Chair does not represent the IAOC (unless directed
> to do so   by IAOC consensus) and does not represent the IETF.
>
> "no formal duty" leaves the IAOC chair to do so anyway and it
> would be good, in the same place, to say that the IAOC chair
> does not represent the IETF

Yes.  "no formal duty" implies that all sorts of representations
can be made and done, it just does not _require_ the Chair to do
it.  As Margaret points out, large dragons have walked through
smaller loopholes in the IETF.  Scott's proposed sentence is
_much_ better.

    john