Re: Assuring ISOC commitment to AdminRest

Brian E Carpenter <brc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> I respectfully disagree. The legal thread for our entire standards
> process hangs on the Board motions that approved 2026 etc.

I don't agree with this assessment. IETF's legitimacy as a standards
body depends on people both inside and outside the IETF recognizing
and implementing its standards, not on whether ISOC ratifies
the process or not.

> Having
> sweated hard as ISOC Chair to get the last major updates to the
> by-laws through, I don't think it's reasonable to ask them for
> a by-law about this - at least not as a prerequisite for the
> kickoff. I will trust a Board motion.

Maybe it's just that I'm a security guy, but the word "trust" here
makes me very uncomfortable. We're setting up a situation in which the
IETF's ability to operate is completely conditional on ISOC behaving
in the way indicated in the BCP. Given that, I think it's quite
appropriate to have ISOC constrained to behave substantially in that
fashion. Sure, changing your bylaws is hard, but that's precisely why
a bylaw change and not just a board motion is what we need.

-Ekr