Re: How the IPnG effort was started

On 11/18/2004 12:38 PM, Paul Vixie wrote:

> i am directly aware of latent address space needs that are 50X larger
> than all of ipv4.

Me too, but the sum total of these (both now and immediately foreseeable)
is "very few". I mean, I can site the corner cases too, but what does that
have to do with edge deployment?

> so we can argue as to whether it's 5 years or 3 years or 10 years, and
> we can argue about whether ipv6 is the best possible replacement for
> ipv4, and we can argue about whether ipv6's warts can be fixed or
> whether we'll have to live with them or throw it away and start over.
> but ipv4 is in what the product managers call "end of life", and i hope
> we're not arguing about that.

IPv6 is certainly inevitable in some form or another (at a minimum, its
current deployment levels are "inevitable"), but it's not inevitable
"everywhere" within a sub-decade window. It's kind of fun to think about
scenarios here (reinventing bang-path routing comes to mind) but I'm
trying to focus on what we ought to be working on to reduce deployment
friction. Granted, road-building isn't what the I* collective is good at
(or at least not since Postel stopped isssuing executive fiats) but it
would ultimately be far more productive, I think. I mean, we can try to
fix the problems that folks are having with it (especially including the
non-technical hurdles) or we can argue over whether 3% is better enough
than 2% to qualify as success, the latter of which seems to be the
preference around here.