Re: Internet-Draft cutoffs and getting work done

John,

--On mandag, oktober 18, 2004 09:02:00 -0400 John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Over the last few IETF meetings, processing has become more
automated, or the Secretariat has become more efficient in other
ways.  The typical time to get an I-D posted other than in the
pre- and post-meeting rush has dropped to one working day and
has sometimes even been less.  And, during the rush, the queue
has often cleared early enough that consideration of shortening
the deadlines/ lead time would be in order.

Instead, a new rule has apparently crept into the posting
deadlines, with no community discussion or announcement other
than in those deadline announcements.  The rule, in this
meeting's form, is that

	"As always, all initial submissions (-00) with a
	filename beginning with "draft-ietf" must be approved by
	the appropriate WG Chair before they can be processed or
	announced.  WG Chair approval must be received by
	Monday, October 11 at 9:00 AM ET."

as far as I can tell, this offset (different dates for -00 draft submission and WG chair approval) was first introduced into the I-D deadline announcement for the Vienna IETF meeting - summer 2003:

NOTE: There are two (2) Internet-Draft Cutoff dates

June 23rd: Cutoff for Initial Submissions (new documents)

All initial submissions(-00) must be submitted by Monday, June 23rd,
at 09:00 ET.  Initial submissions received after this time will NOT be
made available in the Internet-Drafts directory, and will have to be
resubmitted.

As before, all initial submissions (-00.txt) with a filename beginning with a draft-ietf MUST be approved by the appropriate WG Chair prior to processing and announcing. WG Chair approval must be received by Monday, June 16th.

At the time of Salt Lake City (Nov 2001), which is the earliest announcement I have a copy of, the date for WG chair approval was 3 days after the deadline; when the deadline for submission was moved from Friday to Monday, the WG chair approval deadline did not move.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what discussion happened ahead of the 2003 change, and how the WG chairs were informed.

                          Harald