Re: Shuffle those deck chairs!

* Iljitsch van Beijnum:

> On 10-okt-04, at 19:46, Florian Weimer wrote:
>
>> A stateless longest-prefix matching algorithm which costs only a few
>> dozen cycles (or very few cache misses) per lookup (even for random
>> addresses), provides fast routing table inserts and reasonably
>> efficient deletes is not exactly trivial to come up with.  A few
>> people have been looking for something that is reasonably fast and not
>> covered by patents yet, but I'm not aware of any interesting
>> discoveries.
>
> Are you saying that the patricia tree / trie datastructures and/or
> their search methods are patented?

No, their performance is just less than stellar (at least for the trie
algorithms that have been around since the mid-80s).

> I was under the impression that this stuff came from the academic
> world and as such would be unencumbered by patents.

Other routing algorithms come indeed from the academic community, but
are covered by patents nevertheless.  I can't speak for the U.S., but
here in Germany, we are aggressively pushing for more patent output
from universities.  A few years ago, law was even changed in a way
that supervising professors no longer can decide if they want to
patent a discovery (sorry, "invention") or not, it's now up to the
university.