Re: Shuffle those deck chairs!

* Eric S. Raymond:

> In the last 60 days, the IETF has taken the worst blow to its
> credibility that I have observed in the entire history of the
> organization.  I refer, of course, to the Sender-ID debacle, which
> exposed IETF's inability or unwillingness to defend Internet
> standards against patent predation even when the existence of
> prior art is readily establishable.

Are you familiar with IETF IPR policies?  Microsoft's Sender ID
license was a perfectly acceptable RAND patent license.  The outcome
of the decision is quite surprising, and underlines that even though
the IETF has policies that can put free software at a disadvantage,
the IETF community makes sure that these policies are not used for
some of the most important protocols.[1]

Regarding the existence of prior art, it's almost inevitable that
Microsoft's patent claims will be narrowed significantly when the
patent is granted in a few years.  The exact scope of those claims is
very difficult to predict, though, and so are the costs of
standardizing on an infringing protocol.

Maybe I'm a bit biased because I think SPF and Sender-ID are wrong
from a strategic point of view.  IMHO, it's a very bad idea to put DNS
so close to the center of the spam wars because it's so likely that
the resulting collateral damage on DNS as a whole will destabilize the
domain name system as a whole, and a have a devastating side effect on
the Internet.

1. Some core protocols are heavily patent-encumbered, though, or have
become encumbered as implementation strategies evolved.  Efficient
packet forwarding is certainly one of the Internet fundamentals,
however it's far from obvious how to implement it without breaking a
couple of patents (similar to the situation with compression
algorithms at the beginning of the 90s).