Re: Copying conditions

>>>>> "scott" == scott bradner <sob@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

    scott> I do not see any problem for the open source community
    scott> unless that community wants to create a new version of TCP
    scott> and take parts of existing IETF RFCs to include in its
    scott> description of their revised TCP

We do generally require this freedom of things that we're going to
call open source.  There are a lot of reasons why you would want it
and a fair number of reasons why this freedom is a bad idea.

It's certainly a problem; operating systems like Debian have decided
to stop distributing the RFC collection because of the IPR issues.
(We are able to distribute them but choose not to because we cannot
give our users the rights we typically give them along with things we
distribute.)

If you understand the open source position and disagree with it, then
there's probably little more to say.  If you don't understand the open
source position, let's get together in person and discuss the issue.
I think this discussion may go much better in person than over a list.

--Sam