IESG/IAB conclusions, recommendation and next steps

IETF folks,

The IESG and IAB have been considering the input from the IETF community on
the next steps going forward in IETF administrative restructuring.

It appears clear to us that the community mostly sees scenario O as the
lower-risk scenario, and the one that gives us the greatest probability of
successfully doing what we have to do.

Based on this, the IESG and the IAB make the following recommendation:

      We recommend that the IETF pursue scenario O, with the understanding
      that further work is needed to define the roles and responsibilities
      of the IETF, the IAOC and the ISOC BoT under this scenario

The "BCP section" of the scenario O note will be pulled out and published as an internet-draft. We'd like to put this description to the IETF community for a formal Last Call before the November IETF meeting, if possible.

Also, as noted in the recommendation above, there are a number of points
where we need to work out in more detail how the system is going to work -
who takes decisions, who accepts those decisions, and what conflict
resolution mechanisms may be necessary, and so on. The IAB and IESG are
drafting a document that will describe the finer level of detail as to the
respective roles and responsibilities of each of the players. We will
publish this as an internet-draft shortly.

We will continue to work intensely on this!

                 Harald & Leslie, for the IESG & IAB