Re: The "Clerk" function and Standards throughput and quality

Hi Tony -

> Well I didn't think I was confused, but maybe. As far as I can tell the
> Clerk function could be one of the contracted out services. To a large
> degree the task list for the Clerk will determine just how efficient / cost
> effective it would be to do that. If the Clerk's primary tasks are handling
> the paperwork for the IAD, then it probably doesn't make sense to outsource
> that. If as others have suggested the Clerk functions include processing
> I-Ds and other tasks closer to the Secretariat service, then it should be
> included as part of that service contract.

The Clerk functions are roughly equivalent tot the current Secretariat service
and I heard a pretty strong feeling that this should be contracted out,
as you say.  So, you're not confused.

> To be clear, I am not confused about the ability of a single person handling
> all of the tasks that the IESG/IAB might wish for. That just won't happen,
> because even if such a person existed we couldn't afford them. That said, it
> is not at all clear to me that we need more than a single person managing
> well structured contracts with clear deliverables. If that person needs
> independent administrative support, that could be just another contract.

A single person is the going in assumption.  When growing from zero, one is
a great first step.

> In a way we endanger the future viability of the IETF if we allow the IAD
> office to grow beyond a single person. Human nature will make everyone
> reluctant to cut permanent staff, while cutting back on contracted services
> is much easier to swallow.

And, that's the exact reason ... you've got it correct.  :)

Carl