Re: sob@xxxxxxxxxxx is not long for the world

On Thu, Aug 15, 2024 at 2:13 AM Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 8/14/24 18:18, David Farmer wrote:

> Back in the day, many Universities had email for life. It was easy
> because the email systems were fully in-house operations, and the
> world was a different place from a cybersecurity perspective.
>
> However, in the late 2000s, most universities often outsourced their
> email to cloud services for low to no cost to focus on more strategic
> IT priorities.

IMO there's something wrong with IETF protocols when small-to-medium
sized organizations find it necessary to outsource such services due to
spam, malware, DoS attacks, etc.

+1

But I just can't see fixing SMTP.

What I do see as opportunity is MOQ which does all the heavy lifting for voice and video conferencing without the vast attack surface inherent in WebRTC. If I have to put a browser in my client, I am importing millions of lines of unaudited code.

All MOQ lacks is addressing and presence. An open service for voice and video conferencing, in person and meetings would be very powerful and could easily replace the walled gardens. Such a system would obviously need some form of push messaging to request a connection be established, that could be used for short messaging and for mail and large file transfer via a pull mechanism.

If the system had anti-abuse designed into the core, being part of the service provider cartel doesn't have to be proxy for 'not a spammer'.

People don't have to do it my way, but I have spent eight years thinking about these problems, I do have something of a track record in the field and people might want to look at my approach.

However I'll admit that having non-organization people have email at a
organization's domain name has created at least some legal exposure to
that organization.  While that's unfortunate in some ways, that's not
IETF's doing.   The Internet is not the only environment that has become
more hostile over the years.

Domain names conflate addressing and membership of an organization.