[Last-Call] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-manet-dlep-credit-flow-control-15

Reviewer: Susan Hares
Review result: Ready with Issues

by the IESG for the IETF Chair.  Please treat these comments just
like any other last call comments.

<https://wiki.ietf.org/en/group/gen/GenArtFAQ>.

Document: draft-ietf-manet-dlep-credit-flow-control-??
Reviewer: Susan Hares
Review Date: 2024-08-12
IETF LC End Date: 2024-08-06
IESG Telechat date: Not scheduled for a telechat

points to unresolved issues and was declared dead by IESG.
It is unclear how these issues were resolved in this draft.

The credit window scheme is an important addition to both physical and virtual
queues. I commend the authors and contributors for their work.  Appendix A is
appropriate.

Major issues:
The concept of credit-based flow control messages aligns with the basic
concepts of the DLEP protocol [RFC8175] in a virtual or physical queue.
This draft follows the concepts of credit window grant, credit window
status, and credit request in draft-ietf-manet-credit-window/

Interestingly, draft-ietf-manet-credit-window-07 was declared
dead by the IESG. The key points below from the TSVart and
OPS-DIR reviews do not seem to have been resolved or
listed in this draft.

Details on Major issue:
The two interesting points of the IESG evaluation for the concept found in
draft-ietf-manet-credit-window are in the TSVart review
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/review-ietf-manet-credit-window-07-tsvart-telechat-scharf-2016-12-14/)
and the OPS-DIR Review
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/review-ietf-manet-credit-window-07-opsdir-lc-schoenwaelder-2016-12-12/).

The TSVart review of draft-ietf-manet-credit-window-07 states:
"It is a bit surprising that the document does not discuss potential
challenges and downsides of the flow control scheme. For instance, if the RF
link capacity rapidly changes, what is the benefit of this flow control?"

Sue's comment: Since the modem types are not specified, it could be RF modem,
cable modem, wired modem, or virtual modem. It seems this comment is still
relevant.

Sue's suggested resolution: It seems the manageability section (2.4) gives
several generic hints, but it might be wise to create an application document
with more hints for operational deployment.

The OPSDIR review of draft-ietf-manet-credit-window-07 states:

a) "Section 9.2 discusses that knowledge about credits may get
   inconsistent. Mismatches may also include situations where packets
   are lost or dropped (e.g. checksum failures) - should this be
   mentioned as well?"

d) "In the security considerations, I read 'The extension does not
   introduce any additional threats above those documented in [DLEP].'
   I wonder whether this is correct. Unless I have a secure transport
   for DLEP, can I not rather easily inject false window sizes to say
   prevent communication or to let a router overflow a modem?"

Sue's comment: Different modems have different loss rates depending on
physical media and modem functions.  It seems that comment (a) is
applicable to this specification.

On comment b), RFC8175 states:
   "Implementations of DLEP SHOULD implement, and use, Transport Layer
   Security (TLS) [RFC5246] to protect the TCP session.  The "dedicated
   deployments" discussed in "Implementation Scenarios" (Section 4) MAY
   consider the use of DLEP without TLS.  For all "networked
   deployments" (again, discussed in "Implementation Scenarios"), the
   implementation and use of TLS are STRONGLY RECOMMENDED.  If TLS is to
   be used, then the TLS session MUST be established before any Messages
   are passed between peers.  Routers supporting TLS MUST prioritize
   connection points using TLS over those that do not."

RFC8175 strongly recommends TLS to protect against the issues denoted in (b).
draft-ietf-manet-manet-credit-window does not seem to emphasize this point in
the security section. This document
(draft-ietf-manet-dlep-credit-flow-control-15) also does not emphasize this
point from RFC8175.

In addition, the security comments in
draft-ietf-manet-dlep-credit-flow-control-15.txt in the security section state:

   "These mechanisms expose vulnerabilities similar to existing
   DLEP messages, e.g., an injected message resizes a credit window to a
   value that results in a denial of service."

The use of "e.g.,..." is unclear and further weakens the clarity of the point
on TLS requirements from RFC8175, and the chance to expose vulnerabilities of
RFC8175.

Sue's resolution: If the authors rewrite the security section to contain clear
language, it will go a long way to resolving these concerns.  Manageability and
security sections are like warning labels on tobacco products, it is necessary
to warn people if they are doing something dangerous to one's health and
well-being.

Minor issues:

Nits/editorial comments:

1. 7 places in the text use the grammar form "i.e.," to either the detriment of
the clarity of the text or a misuse of the grammar form.

place 1: section 2, paragraph 2, sentence 3,
place 2: section 4, paragraph 4, sentence 3, - This use is closer, but I feel
the text would be better if old text:/e.g., DSCPs,/ was replaced with: new
text:/(for example, DSCPs)

place 3: section 2.1, paragraph 1, sentence 3
old text: (e.g., framing, headers and trailers)/
Do you mean "framing, headers, and trailers" as a combination or
"framing, headers, or trailers" as individual examples.

Place 4: 2.3.1, paragraph 1, sentence
Old text:/ In order to avoid errors
   caused by use of undefined FIDs or uninitialized credit windows, this
   Data Item SHOULD be included in any Session Initialization Response
   Message that also indicates support for an extension that requires
   support for the credit window control mechanisms defined in this
   document, e.g., see [I-D.ietf-manet-dlep-da-credit-extension].

Text that is confusing:  /that requires
   support for the credit window control mechanisms defined in this
   document, e.g., see [I-D.ietf-manet-dlep-da-credit-extension]./

Comment: It appears you might have smashed two sentences together.
The example is unclear given the lack of clarity of the preceding text.

place 5 + 6: Section 2.4 - First and last sentence.
place 7: Section 4, sentences 2.
See my comment above in the major comments about the unclarity of the "e.g.,"
text. Since clarity in the manageability and security sections is important for
this document, I suggest avoiding the use of "e.g.," text in places 5, 6, andf
7.

2. section 2.3.1, paragraph 5 (last paragraph), last sentence, lacks sentence
clarity

Old text:/ The modem SHOULD NOT issue additional credits for each affected FID
until
   the associated affected Window has drained to be less than the new
   Credit Window Max Size, regardless of whether sufficient draining
   occurs before or after the modem receives that corresponding Session
   Update Response Message./

text that is difficult to parse: /after the modem receives that corresponding
Session
   Update Response Message./

suggestion: I would suggest just rewriting the sentence into 2 parts (if
possible). I had to re-read this multiple times. I think the algorithm is fine,
but the sentence struggles.

3. section 2.3.2, problem grammar (commnets).
Old text:/ Once the traffic
   classification information is located, the router MUST ensure
   that any data plane state, see Section 2.1, that is associated with
   the TID and its corresponding FIDs is updated as needed. /

suggested revision-1:/ Once the traffic
   classification information is located, the router MUST ensure
   that any data plane state (per Section 2.1) that is associated with
   the TID and its corresponding FIDs are updated as needed. /
alternate revision-2:/ Once the traffic
   classification information is located, the router MUST ensure
   that any data plane state that is associated with
   the TID and its corresponding FIDs are updated as needed (per Section 2.1). /