Re: TELNET to HISTORIC Re: FTP

Rob Sayre wrote:

For telnet, I think the most recent one is this:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc8303/

but it's saying "don't do that". I was looking at why that was, and found:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc6093#section-7

Though the wording of the rfc is "SHOULD NOT", the rfc
should misunderstand how the urgent pointer is actually
used and needed by interactive CLI including but not
limited to telnet.

There, the pointer is used to point to a single byte
interrupt character and tells the client to flush all
the characters received before the pointer.

Otherwise, if we type to remote UNIX system (^M for line end
and ^C for interrupt)

	cat >rmstar.sh^M
	rm -rf *^M
	^C

and cat command is terminated before reading "rm -rf *^M", the
unread part will be read and executed by shell.

If remote side support pseudo terminal capability to handle
interrupt character followed by flushing, we don't need TCP
urgent pointers.

But, on less capable remote sides, we must rely on TCP urgent
pointers and telnet is a tool useful for that purpose.

					Masataka Ohta