Re: TELNET to HISTORIC Re: FTP

On Wed, Jul 31, 2024 at 12:14 AM Greg Skinner <gregskinner0@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My apologies for coming into this thread late.  Have you ever tried curl? [1]

Oh, of course I've used curl, but I didn't know it supported FTP ...because I would never use that feature.

As it happens, the curl documentation makes a good case for historic to me, or at least it frames the situation well no matter your opinion.

https://ec.haxx.se/ftp/

"FTP, the File Transfer Protocol, is probably the oldest network protocol that curl supports—it was created in the early 1970s. The official spec that still is the go-to documentation is RFC 959, from 1985, published well over a decade before the first curl release.

FTP was created in a different era of the Internet and computers and as such it works a little bit differently than most other protocols. These differences can often be ignored and things just works, but they are also important to know at times when things do not run as planned."

thanks,
Rob