Re: TELNET to HISTORIC Re: FTP

Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 7/12/24 04:29, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>
>> What does FTP offer that SSH-based Secure FTP doesn't?
>
> In brief (and from memory):
>
> - the ability to faithfully transfer files of almost any format (not
>   just byte streams) between machines with similar file systems
> - some ability to convert between different character encodings while
>   transferring
> - some ability to transfer files between different formats (source
>   file format is different than destination file format)
> - the ability of a 3rd machine to mediate a transfer directly between
>   two other machines (widely used in broadcast TV where the files
>  being transferred are huge, and the machines are usually on the same
> LAN)

Those were marvellous inventions at the time, but I doubt these are
appropriate design decisions for a file transfer protocol today.  I
think we've learned that data formats and conversions is a sufficiently
hard problem that it is better to separate that from the file transfer
protocol itself.  Similar to how SSH ignores most of the data format
handling weirdness of TELNET.

> - "anonymous FTP" if so enabled by the server (in theory could be done
>   with SSH, but FTP servers generally do support this, and I'm not
>  aware that SSH servers do.)

My preference would be to defer the anonymous use-case to http(s) rather
than continuing with life support for FTP, or to try and make Secure FTP
solve this use-case better.

>> My perception is that most people have migrated away from ftp to http
>> for the majority of use-cases (anonymous downloads), and to sftp for
>> authenticated/encrypted use-cases.  Rsync is also common, but not
>> documented by the IETF at all.
>
> My impression is similar to yours.  But there are still "corner cases"
> in which FTP provides useful functionality that sftp does not.  For
> example, there are still machines with file systems that support a
> wide variety of file types.

Fortunately FTP will continue to live on forever for the use-case it is
needed.  That shouldn't necessarily mean we can't change the protocol
status of it to HISTORIC.

/Simon