Re: TELNET to HISTORIC Re: FTP

On 11-Jul-24 15:53, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
On Wed, Jul 10, 2024 at 11:26 PM George Michaelson <ggm@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:ggm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    What do you really expect move to HISTORIC to do?

IETF should have moved SSH to STANDARD long since.

Perhaps somebody should write a proposal to do that. It isn't trivial, I suspect. Here's an indication of the work to be done:

https://www.rfc-editor.org/search/rfc_search_detail.php?title=ssh&pubstatus%5B%5D=Standards+Track&std_trk=Proposed+Standard&pub_date_type=any

We have a good standard and an obsolete one. We need to be telling people that SSH is the way to go, not Telnet.

Yes, I know most people have moved already. But would be nice not to have people say 'hey the IETF is so mired in the past they still back Telnet'.

Deprecating Telnet would also need somebody to write a proposal.

https://www.rfc-editor.org/search/rfc_search_detail.php?title=telnet&pubstatus%5B%5D=Standards+Track&std_trk=Internet+Standard&pub_date_type=any

    Brian