Re: IETF email and IPv6 and related issues

Jason,

It seems to me that "move the needle" may be the wrong criterion.  As
several of us have commented in different ways, the most important
thing is that the IETF be seen as seriously trying to get support for
IPv6 in its work and operations.  In that regard, tuning RFPs as
various people have suggested is good.  Trying to get M3AAWG on board
would be good too.  If we can figure out other ways to try to push
people toward supporting IPv6 for our tools and operations, that
would be good too.

That part of this issue has just about zero to do with our
expectations of success.  It is much closer to "can't hurt to try and
there are some advantages to doing so".  The only argument I can see
against going down that path would be if IPv6 were so seriously
broken as a means of supporting a particular application that we
would risk suffering public embarrassment from the responses.  As
others have pointed out, including at the running code level, there
is little risk of that.

To make that issue a bit more concrete, suppose you (in your LLC
Board capacity), Jay, Roman, or Tommy found yourselves in a public,
non-IETF forum and were asked what it means for IPv6 that the IETF is
not supporting it for its own email.  Pick between the following
answers in terms of what you would rather say and what you would
rather have the audience hear:

(1) "The IETF has made a good faith effort to get IPv6 support for
those tools and operations, including writing a strong preference
clause into RFPs and intervening with multiple organizations.
However, the LLC has determined that, for operational reasons
including what is practically available in the marketplace, insisting
on it would impede the IETF's ability to do its work."

(2) "None of the vendors whom we considered plausible sources of the
relevant support services provide IPv6 so we decided we didn't care."

Now perhaps the second is a little more extreme than necessary
(although some comments have, IMO, come close).  And I am confident
that you, Jay, and legal counsel if necessary could do better with
the first.  But I hope the point is clear.

   john

--On Friday, July 5, 2024 13:20 +0000 "Livingood, Jason"