Re: IETF email and IPv6 and related issues

On 7/2/24 07:24, Jay Daley wrote:

If the community wants to develop guidance on the use of IPv6 for IETF
services then that would be helpful.  More generally, it would be so
much better all round, if the implicit expectations that people have
about IETF services, were properly surfaced, discussed, agreed and
recorded.  If that were done, then we would be very happy to include
those in any RFP or service assessment.

For any service that is required to be used, at least on some occasions, for effective participation in IETF, I'd say that effective participation must be open to anyone with (IPv4 and/or IPv6) Internet access, who hasn't been administratively prohibited from using such services via established processes.

Specifically for email, a participant on a network with no native IPv4 access should still be able to participate effectively in IETF.   While it's true that most native IPv6 ISPs probably support some kind of NAT for outgoing traffic, it doesn't follow that they all provide IPv4-accessible mail exchangers for inbound traffic.   It also doesn't follow that traffic via a carrier-provided NAT (thus sharing IPv4 addresses among a wide variety of customers) wouldn't be penalized by reputation servers.

Even if it could be established that all such networks provided IPv4-accessible mail exchangers for inbound traffic to their networks, I doubt we could reliably establish that this would remain true for the foreseeable future.

As I alluded in a recent message, I fully expect, based on experience with other network technology transitions, that soon after IPv6 becomes ubiquitous there will be a sudden and dramatic reduction in the use of IPv4 service.   If IETF is going to avoid supporting IPv6 email service for now, it's likely that at some point in the future it will need to be able to change that overnight and with little or no advance notice.

But in summary: (a) everyone should be able to participate, and (b) delivery needs to be reliable [*].   As long as those conditions are met now and in the future, I don't care how the bits get there.

Or to state it differently, the reason I care about how the bits get there is due to sincere doubts, based on long experience with email, that an IPv4-only approach can meet criteria (a) and (b) now and for the likely duration of the new/current arrangement.

Keith

[*] which at present, it isn't for me, though I don't think that's an IPv4/IPv6 problem.