Re: mail is hard, IETF mail service outage planned for 120 0 UTC on 27 June 2024)

It appears that Michael Breuer  <michael.breuer@xxxxxxx> said:
>I'm not sure whether the operational experience of tiny server operators is
>being discredited here. But operators of large scale mail services are
>welcome to bring their operational expertise into the discussion.

People from some of the largest mail systems in the world are active
in our mail working groups. Unfortunately, the WGs have not been a
productive place to get specs written due to endless arguments from
people who run a tiny linux server, or who ran a mail system in 1998
and don't think anything should change.

There is a reason that DMARC and BIMI were designed and tested outside
the IETF, and only brought here once they were largely done. It's not
because they don't know where to find us.

We have a new MAILMAINT WG with rules that are intended to limit the
noise, but while I hope it will work better, I'm not holding my
breath.

R's,
John