[Last-Call] Re: Last Call: BCP 83 PR-Action for Timothy Mcsweeney

Toerless, there are several phenomena that I think WG chairs can and should track:

1. People posting repeatedly because they feel unheard and just making it hard to carry on a discussion
2. People being reactive and needing to chill before re-engaging
3. People who for possibly perfectly understandable reasons are behaving in ways that make others feel unsafe.

There are different ways to address each of these problems, all of which I tend to refer to as "moderation," but I see your point. The point is not to regulate the content of what people say that is relevant to the work that is being done in the IETF. That would obviously be Very Bad.

Referring to (1) above, a strategy that can be effective when someone keeps repeating the same argument is for the working group chair to acknowledge what they are saying and report back as to how it's affected the discussion, and also to say "please be aware that you seem to be repeating yourself and this is disruptive and could result in us imposing a cooling-off period." I've almost never seen WG chairs do this, but it's totally appropriate and, if done effectively, would really improve the quality of discourse and reduce peoples' stress levels. Nobody's the bad guy in a situation like this—it's just a bad feedback loop that needs to be broken.

Referring to (2), it's kind of the same thing but more on an emotional level. Pretty much the same remedies apply, but it's potentially more problematic because the responses come across as hostile rather than simply repetitive, and that can be very off-putting for some participants. I don't consider myself to be a particularly sensitive person, but Dan's response to me earlier (the first, not the second) fell into this category for me, and when coupled with the PR-action seems like justification for further blocking, rather than moderation. Again, no-one's the bad guy here—it's just dysfunctional, and for the sake of the organization it needs to be cut off quickly and not tolerated.

Referring to (3), the topic of the current discussion certainly applies. In this situation, immediate action is essential. The amount of time that the pattern we are finally addressing in this PR-action has gone on is ridiculous—in a corporate environment this would already have resulted in a lawsuit if left unchecked. I don't know if the IETF is able to dodge liability here—I suspect what's protecting us is that the targets of this behavior are too community-minded to be willing to take action that would put the community at risk. This creates a really unfair asymmetry of power: if you are willing to put the work in to keep the community safe, you are hamstrung; if you don't care one way or the other, you have power.

So while I hear that there are people here who think that "do nothing" continues to be the right direction to go. And we may well wind up going in that direction if their voices win out over the people who feel that we ought to do something.

But for those who think "do nothing" is the right move and who have been involved for years in making the IETF what it is today, I would really like to remind you all that this is actually an existential risk to the IETF. The IETF exists and is successful because of the people who participate in it. Compared to other organizations that do good work, our environment is quite hostile. We could do a lot better without even changing the BCPs, but we could do better in a way that's also good for those of us who are not great at moderating our social behavior if we considered the job of keeping shepherding mailing lists seriously.